Error code 0xc0000005, today at Techtaks.com we are going to find out the best solutions for this most popular windows operating system error code 0xc0000005. Let’s get started.
It is clear that the launch of Windows was the great triumph of Microsoft: for decades, this operating system has been one of the most popular solutions for the use and administration with a graphical computer interface. In addition, over time, not only system installation, but also error resolution, have become much more efficient thanks to the automated troubleshooter, designed to remedy a wide variety of situations and executable with one click. However, there are still problems for which there is no established solution, so solving them can get a bit complicated: this is the case of error 0xc0000005, which usually appears, for example, when opening third-party programs and is not solved by the typical repair options.
What is Windows error 0xc0000005?
Error 0xc0000005 is one of the most well-known problems in Windows. It affects not only the Windows 10 operating system, but also older versions such as Windows 8 and Windows 7 and can basically occur in these three situations:
- Windows installation : “ Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Check if you have access to the installation sources, and then restart the installation. Error code: 0xC0000005 »
- Open programs : ‘ The application could not be started correctly (0xc0000005). Click ‘OK’ to close the application » .
- Application access violation : ” 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location … “
Also, this error can appear (without any additional messages) when updating Windows and thus preventing the update of the operating system. In all these cases, we recommend that you personally take care of solving the problem, since Windows does not provide a concrete solution to remedy it.
The most common causes of error 0xc0000005
The possible causes of error 0xc0000005 are very varied and depend a lot on the context in which it occurs: on the one hand, the hardware may not work correctly or it may not be properly configured; on the other hand, perhaps the error is due to a failure of the running software , so reinstalling it could solve the problem. However, in most cases, the failure is due to something wrong or faulty in the operating system itself . The range of possible errors include, for example, there are obsolete registry entries or invalid, missing or incomplete files dynamic link libraries (DLLs from English D ynamic L ink Library) or that any files or system settings have been corrupted. Also the presence of malware may be responsible for the 0xc0000005 warning.
In the following sections, we collect the most reliable solutions for the various scenarios in which the error 0xc0000005 may appear .
Fix access errors with code 0xc0000005
Access violation errors (also called protection violation errors) occur when a running program tries to access a specific resource (especially memory) that is protected against such access or is unavailable . In these cases, the error message 0xc0000005 always accompanies the software crash.
Try to uninstall the program causing the problem from your computer first, and then reinstall it . If the files or settings in this software were responsible for the access error, it will most likely not happen again. On the other hand, if reinstalling the program does not prevent the error from occurring again, you can resort to the strategies that we explain below.
First solution: disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) for the program
With Data Execution Prevention, or more commonly DEP (Data Execution Prevention), Windows has built a memory protection feature into the system which, unfortunately, can cause access problems like 0xc0000005 unintentionally. In fact, some programs are incompatible with this security feature, so they inevitably fail to carry out certain actions. The simplest solution in this case is to disable this protection mechanism for the corresponding program , for which you need to have administrator rights and follow the following steps:
- Open the ” Run ” dialog box from the start menu or using the [Windows] + [R] key combination.
- Type ” sysdm.cpl ” and hit the enter key to access the system properties.
- Open the ” Advanced Options ” tab and in the “Performance” category, click ” Settings “.
- Open the ” Data Execution Prevention ” tab and check “Enable DEP for all programs and services except those I select . “
- Click ” Add ” and find the .exe file for the program that caused the error.
- Save the change by first pressing ” Apply ” and finally ” OK “.
Second solution: disable the AppInit_DLLs mechanism in the Windows registry
A possible solution to error 0xc0000005 is to disable the AppInit_DLLs function, which allows you to freely choose the DLLs (Windows libraries) that will be loaded in each process executed in user mode. The use of DLL allows you to use memory more efficiently so that programs load faster and take up less space on your hard disk. However, on some occasions, the AppInit_DLLs entry can cause the access violation and cause the error. If you have administrator rights, you can disable this feature in the Windows registry. To access the registry, do the following:
- Open the ” Run ” dialog using the button of the same name in the start menu or with the key combination [Windows] + [R].
- Type ” regedit ” and hit enter.
- Before making any changes to the Windows registry, you should think carefully: modifying the settings lightly or in the wrong way can cause the system to start crashing soon after. Therefore, before doing so, we recommend that you create a backup of the current state of the registry. To create it, in the registry editor, click on ” File ” and select the ” Export ” option . Finally, give the backup a suitable name and save it to the location you want.
- Once the registry editor is open, look for the following registry key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
- There you will find the entry ” LoadAppInit_DLLs “, on which you must double click to change the value assigned to ” 0 “:
- Click ” OK ” to confirm the change. Then, after the system restarts , you can try to reopen the program that caused the error.
9. Third solution: run a malware scan
- Windows errors such as 0xc0000005 can also be caused by malware , especially if the error occurs while accessing certain system resources. The Windows Security Center provides good protection against viruses, bots, Trojans and other types of malware that, if you wish, you can extend with applications from other providers such as Kaspersky, Bitdefender or Avira. However, not even the best programs protect the system one hundred percent. To check the current security status of the system and remove any detected malware, manually launch any available malware scanning tools.
Microsoft also offers a malware removal tool (Malicious Software Removal Tool, or MSRT ), which is automatically updated each month under Windows Update and analyzes the system in the background for threats. Sometimes, however, failures occur during the update, so Microsoft also offers the option to download the latest version of MSRT directly from its website.
Fourth solution: run the Windows memory diagnostic and replace, if necessary, the faulty RAM
If the error 0xc0000005 continues to give access problems despite the solutions described so far, you will have to consider that it may be due to a hardware defect or, more specifically, to some problem with the RAM memory . In this case, the only solution is to replace the faulty memory with a new one.
To change the memory, you have to know how to open the computer case, identify the RAM slots and remove or insert the corresponding modules. If you do not have the necessary technical knowledge, we recommend that you contact a hardware expert to replace the memory of the device.
First, you need to make sure that, indeed, a faulty memory module is causing the access error. To do this, the system itself already incorporates a standard solution: Windows memory diagnostics , which you can access from the start menu, under “Administrative Tools”, or through the search box. Double-click the tool to open it, then select the ” Restart now and check for problems ” option . The computer will shut down and then restart to perform memory diagnostics.
When the diagnosis is complete, Windows starts as usual. The information bar (bottom right) displays a message with the results of the review , informing you if memory problems have been detected or if, on the contrary, the RAM is working correctly.
How to resolve error 0xc0000005 when opening programs
Just as frustrating as getting the 0xc0000005 error notice for an access violation is when the message appears when you try to open a program. In these cases, it is not even possible to start the software, we only get the warning that ” The application could not start correctly “. The quickest solution may be to reinstall the programs affected by the problem, since the basic files for their operation may have been lost during the installation or update and may need to be restored. Also scanning the system to see if it has been infected by malware (see the third solution for access errors) can give good results.
If neither the malware nor the software itself is responsible for the 0xc0000005 error, the following specific measures are the most likely to resolve the problem.
First solution: update the device driver
If you get the 0xc0000005 warning when starting a program, it may be due to a missing or outdated device driver . By default, Windows automatically searches for the latest drivers for the underlying hardware, although the operating system is not always able to find the latest version. Also when hardware is changed, Windows often has trouble installing the proper device drivers, so you should always check that your system and hardware are compatible .
Using the device manager , which you can open from the control panel (icon view), you can get a list of the hardware installed at all times. To find and install new or updated drivers for a specific device, you have two options: go to the manufacturer’s website and download them, or use the search function built into the device manager. To open the latter, right-click on the desired hardware component and select the ” Update driver ” option . Finally, you can search for available drivers online or on your computer.
Second solution: repair the BCD file
Another possible cause of error 0xc0000005 when trying to open a program is a defect in the boot configuration data (in English, Boot Configuration Data), mainly due to a malware infection. However, removing the responsible malware will not suffice in this case, as the incorrect entries will remain in the boot database after doing so. Specifically, these are the xOsload.exe and xNtKrnl.exe bootloader paths , which must also be removed to fix the error.
You can check the currently configured boot loader paths at any time from the command prompt, running as administrator and entering the command ” bcdedit “.
To remove the faulty boot paths and restore the boot configuration data to the original state , a Windows installation media (CD, DVD or USB memory stick) is required, which will allow you to start the command prompt outside of the normal environment . To do this, start the computer from the medium of your choice, and then follow these steps:
- Click ” Next ” in the language settings, then ” System recovery options .”
- Press the items ” Troubleshoot “, ” Advanced options ” and ” Command prompt ” (Windows 10, 8) or the items ” Recovery tools … “, ” Next ” and ” Command prompt ” (Windows 7) in this order .
At the command prompt, enter the following commands one after the other. If necessary, replace the letter D: with the one that corresponds to the drive where Windows is installed:
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Restart the computer and enter the Windows key or the digital license number (Windows 10) if the system asks you to reactivate Windows.
Error 0xc0000005 when installing Windows: best solutions
The installation wizard of the Windows operating system is so simple, it can be used without problems even without computer skills. However, things tend to get a bit complicated when the error message 0xc0000005 appears during the process. When this happens, the installation media may be defective, so if you have other media, try using it to complete the installation. If not, try the following two strategies.
First solution: delete and partition Windows hard drive
If the error 0xc0000005 occurs when installing Windows (especially if it is from scratch), it may be due to the existence of defective or incompatible partitions on the hard drive intended to host the operating system. You can solve this problem by deleting the partitions and creating new ones. To do this, select the custom installation type (for advanced users), and then follow these steps:
- Select the partition intended for the Windows installation (with the notation “Main”), click ” Delete ” and confirm this action.
- Repeat this process for the partition named “System Reserved ” as well as any other partitions that belonged to previous installations of Windows.
- Once you have removed all partitions, the installation wizard will show the item ” Unallocated space on disk 0 ” in the list. Select this item and press « New ».
- The setup wizard automatically calculates the maximum storage space. Confirm with the ” Apply ” button . As a result, at least two new partitions are created.
- Ignore the partition with the “System Reserved” attribute and instead click on the other partition (with much more storage space) to set it as the Windows installation drive .
- Start the installation by clicking ” Next “.
Second solution: replace faulty hardware
Also when installing Windows, a hardware defect may be causing the error 0xc0000005. If this is your case, first of all, you should check the main memory: check it with the help of the Windows memory diagnostic mentioned above (fourth solution to access errors), especially if you are performing a new installation that will replace another Windows system still running. Keep in mind that not only the RAM memory may be causing the error, but also the hard drive on which Windows will be installed: if this is not working correctly , there is a good chance that the installation will be interrupted, although perhaps with other error codes other than 0xc000005.
Now you know how to solve error Code 0xc0000005 windows error of your windows operating system,hope it helps. If you face any issues and have other solutions to this error Code 0xc0000005 windows error then feel free to comment us.