The internet is an amazing resource for children but also presents many dangers, so it is important for parents to not only have some control over what their children are doing on their PC, phone, tablet or even game console but above all to prevent them from visiting certain types of annoying or violent sites.
The main paid antivirus suites have included, among their functions, parental controls that block, in advance, browsing certain dangerous sites, recognizing them before an annoying image can appear.
However, if you do not use any antivirus suite, there are many ways to protect your children by activating parental controls from your Orange router or other, your Windows or Mac operating system, your Google Chrome web browser etc …
In this complete guide, we will see how to activate parental control on PC, Windows 7/8/10, tablet or Ipad, activate parental control on Android mobile phone and on all types of social platforms like Youtube , Tiktok, Instagram, Facebook or game consoles like Nintendo Switch, PS4 etc …
Activate parental controls from your router
One of the easiest ways to configure parental control is to configure the parental control function on your Orange , Free , SFR , Bouygues router .
The router functions as a sorting point for all Internet traffic passing through the network. Parental controls therefore allow you to filter web browsing for all devices on the network: computers, smartphones, tablets and even game consoles.
To activate parental controls you must configure the filtering of your web browsing from one of the main functions of the router configuration screen (this option is not included in all routers). To access it you must access your router’s settings by connecting to one of your devices or from your PC and entering the IP address of your D-link , Tp-Link or LinkSys router .
To find it from your Windows PC , just type “cmd” from your Windows start menu, enter the command prompt and type ” ipconfig “, and finally find the IP address of your router in the list “Default Gateway”.
Here are the most common IP addresses for the most commonly used types of routers:
- For D-Link routers : 10.90.90.90/ 192.168.1.254/ 192.168.1.1/ 10.1.1.1/ 192.168.0.1/ 10.0.0.2/ 192.168.0.10/ 10.0.0.1/ 192.168.0.101/ 192.168.254.254/ 192.168.0.30 /192.168.15.1/ 192.168.0.50
- For TP-Link routers : 192.168.1.1/ 192.168.0.254/ 192.168.0.1
- For Netgear routers : 192.168.0.227/ 192.168.0.1
- For Linksys routers : 192.168.1.254/ 192.168.2.1/ 192.168.1.1/ 192.168.16.1/ 192.168.0.1/ 192.168.15.1/ 192.168.1.10/ 192.168.1.99/ 192.168.1.210
Once in the settings, you can configure the access restrictions to certain sites and activate parental controls, if your router does not allow it or if the level of control does not satisfy you, do not hesitate to call on your internet service provider to subscribe to a free parental control option, for example.
Do you need to activate or configure parental controls on your internet router? Quickly contact a home computer technician! Techinclic assists you quickly! Book an appointment online !
Change the DNS of your router
If the router does not have this web content filtering option or if it is still not satisfactory, you can let the filter be managed by an external service and modify the DNS.
The changes in DNS on the router ensures that parental control is active across the entire network, on any PC or device you use, Ipad, Android smartphone or iPhone.
There are also free parental control services created by Microsoft like OpenDNS Family Shield which will act as a filter responsible for automatically blocking unwanted requests, sites or content.
Activate free parental controls on windows 7
Windows 7 provides parental control options that let you control what time a user can access the computer and what programs they can use. This is only useful if our children use separate user accounts on the computer. Windows 7 does not include a web filtering program.
If you have the version of Windows 7 on your PC or that of your children, it will therefore be necessary to register for a parental control program such as Windows Family Safety using your Microsoft account and going to the address: family.microsoft.com.
Parental controls in Windows 10 and 8.1
The Family Safety program is built into Windows 10 and combines Windows 7 options with internet controls. To activate parental controls, simply go to Windows 10 settings, in Accounts> Family and other users.
Then it will be necessary to create new users that a certain user account belongs to a child to activate the online management of the account and all the filters.
Need to activate parental controls on your Windows pc? Call Techinclic quickly! An IT technician will quickly assist you remotely or directly on site or at home! Book an appointment online!
On the Family Safety website, you can read all the statistics about computer usage, most visited sites, length of use and so on.
You can then configure the restrictions and bans by enabling or disabling various options written clearly in French: usable programs, time allowed to stay on the internet, filtering of websites and notices on unknown sites to decide if they are allowed or prohibited.
The best online parental control programs
If you’re not happy with Windows Family Safety, or want to use a different program that enforces a family filter on the Internet, there are plenty of free alternatives out there that are even better than the Windows tool.
Qustodio is a great program for Windows PCs to protect children who use computers and surf the Internet. The free version of Qustodio, which is a commercial product, has some limitations but should meet almost all needs. There is no monitoring of social media and Facebook or of the programs your kids can use. However, you can block dangerous websites, which are divided into different categories, and read reports on internet usage.
Spyrix Keylogger is also a great program to spy on the computer by viewing screen images and recording keyboard for parents who don’t want or can’t put bans and blocks but still want to check what their kids are doing. .
Norton Family is a powerful parental control system, with which you can manage and decide when children are allowed to use the computer and which sites they can access. By going to the official Norton Family website, you will have the option to sign up for a 6 month free trial! Norton Family lets you see everything that’s happening online, like searches, sites, Facebook time, and more.
K9 Web Protection is one of the best free programs to block sites on PC or limit browsing time on Facebook, Youtube or others!
Need help installing a parental control program? With Techinclic, an IT technician will quickly assist you at home or remotely! Book an appointment online quickly !
Activate parental controls on Google Chrome
To enable parental controls on Google Chrome and prevent children from accessing explicit results or blocking sites with inappropriate images and videos, all you need to do is turn on the Google Chrome SafeSearch feature . This option, which appears as an option in Google’s browser search settings, allows you to block certain inappropriate content on websites.
Chrome not only allows you to block certain websites, but also to generate reports on the sites actually visited during the browsing session. For added security, SafeSearch will prevent users from installing browser extensions. Google search results are also filtered.
Activating SafeSearch on Google Chrome for PC is very easy:
- First of all, you will have to enter a search on your Google Chrome browser
- Go to settings and activate Safesearch
- Otherwise click on Google search preferences,
- Then check the Enable SafeSearch box,
- Then save the changes made at the bottom of the page
If you have a Google account, you can also make sure that this option remains activated, to do this:
- Click the Lock SafeSearch button ,
- Log in with your Gmail credentials
- Click the Lock SafeSearch button located on the page that appears immediately after.
How to activate Android and iOS Parental controls with SafeSearch?
To activate Android parental controls on Chrome on smartphones and tablets:
After opening the appropriate screen (you need to tap the gear icon), tap on the Google voice, go to the Search, Assistant and voice functions section, tap on the General option and finally move the lever relative to SafeSearch to ON.
To enable parental controls on Chrome for iOs , iPhone, iPad devices:
Google Safesearch app for iOS – tap the gear button at the top left, tap the Search settings item located in the Privacy area, then apply the check mark next to the Filter explicit results option and tap the Save item at the bottom of the page.
Activate parental controls via the Family Link app on Android and iOs devices
Google offers a parental control application for download on Android or iOS smartphones and tablets. The Google parental control app is called Family Link and allows you to use one or more devices, properly protected and used by adults, to protect and impose restrictions on the mobile and tablet devices your children use.
Family Link works in the Cloud and requires the installation of two applications: the first must be downloaded on an adult’s smartphone and the other on the mobile device used by the minor.
Family Link features allow you to define a series of controls and filters with the ability to:
- Filter what can be downloaded and installed from Google Play
- Require explicit permission for paid purchases and downloads
- Block annoying sites through Chrome browser
- Filter explicit or harmful content in Google searches
- Refuse or allow the use of the Google Assistant,
- Allow or block the various installed Android applications
- Access the device’s position in real time
- Define daily hours of use
To use Family Link , all you need to do is create a Google Account for your child and set it up on their device. You will then need to install the app on your child’s device, making sure to delete all other accounts on the device. The Family Link app will ask you to specify the credentials of the child’s Google account, then those of the adult account.
After having configured the authentication, defined the permissions to be granted and the restrictions to be imposed, it suffices to install this application on the adult’s Android device to have the possibility, at any time, to configure what is possible to do on the other device. Every app and content searched through the Play Store will be filtered based on the controls configured on Google Play .
Need help from a technician to activate parental controls on your chrome browser or on an Android device? Quickly call a home technician! Techinclic provides you with remote IT assistance, at home or on site! Quickly book an appointment online !
How to activate Parental control on Google Play?
By enabling parental controls, you can limit the content that can be downloaded or purchased from Google Play depending on the age of your children.
Here’s how to turn on and set up parental controls for kids 13 and over on Google Play:
- Open the Google Play Store app on the device on which you want to enable parental controls.
- In the upper left corner, tap Menu, then Settings, then Parental controls.
- Activate the “Parental control” option.
- Create a PIN code . This way, people who don’t know it won’t be able to change the parental control settings. If you set up parental controls on your child’s device, choose a PIN code they don’t know.
- Tap the type of content you want to filter.
- Choose how to filter or limit access.
- After setup, you can enable or disable parental controls. When you reactivate it and create a new PIN code, the previous settings are restored. This way, you can use the same device with people for whom parental controls are not needed.
If you’ve created a Google Account for your child under 13 , you can set up parental controls on their account. Parental controls are applied on Android devices that your child accesses with their Google account. The parent who administers their child’s Google Account must use their Google Account password to configure or change parental control settings for their child.
Open the Family Link app , then:
- Select the option for your child.
- In the “Settings” tab, tap Manage settings, then tap Control on Google Play.
- Tap the type of content you want to filter.
- Choose how to filter or limit access.
Note: You can also manage this setting by clicking your child’s name on families.google.com.
Another note: Parental controls do not prevent the display of restricted content in search results or through a direct link.
How to activate parental controls on Tik Tok? Twinning or family culprit
The way parental controls on TikTok, allows you to connect on behalf of children in TikTok application of the parent or guardian, it is the family of the coupling accounts. In this way, they can have detailed information on how children use the platform and can also manage or configure other additional settings. To activate parental controls on Tiktok, all you have to do is:
- Download the TikTok app on your smartphone and create your TikTok account
- Start the app and go to the user profile, find the Digital Detoxification option
- Next, tap on the Family Safety Mode option or the Digital Wellbeing option and then on Family Pairing
- Select if you are a parent / guardian or a youth
- Depending on the previous selection, the option to scan a QR code or the code itself to link this account to the principal will appear
- Finally, you will need to create a code to access these options and prevent unauthorized access
- So far the way to activate, but the important thing is what these new family security options offer.
How to activate parental controls on Snapchat?
You should know that it is not really possible to activate parental controls on Snapchat, but you can access the Snapchat parental guide on the official website, to know exactly what settings to change to ensure that your children are not exposed. to inappropriate content. In order to limit the risks you can increase the confidentiality of the account, block accounts or report content, abandon or withdraw from a group chat etc …
Alternatively, you can opt for an antivirus solution that includes a parental control option.
How to activate parental controls on Facebook?
This does not apply to the Messenger Kids application , which has a completely separate operating mode from that of the Facebook platform. However, you can adjust the general settings of your child’s Facebook account to ensure that their profile is as protected as possible.
How to configure parental controls on Instagram?
Instagram does not have specific parental control features, however the platform does allow parents to set up and verify the account of their children 13 years of age or older. There are a series of measures to increase the safety of your children’s Instagram accounts. For example, you can set your child’s profile to private. When a profile is private, only subscribers can see its account posts.
For example, you also have the option of blocking comments from specific people. In your child’s comment settings, you can select ” Block comments from ” and then search for people to add to this list. Block certain users on Instagram. For example, it will be necessary to block a user if you do not want a particular subscriber to be able to try to follow your teenager or send him direct messages. When your child blocks someone on Instagram, their profile is completely hidden and inaccessible to the blocked user, even if they try to search for them.
Need remote or home assistance? Quickly book a Techinclic technician! Fill out our reservation form!
How to configure parental controls on PS3 / PS4, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Wii console?
To activate parental controls on the PlayStation 3 , you must:
- In the main menu, navigate left / right to select “Settings”, then scroll to ” Security settings ” and press the X button on your controller
- Select ” Change Password “.
- Enter the current password (the default password is 0000).
- Enter the new access code for digit 4, then confirm that you want to change the access code.
- In the ” BD – Parental Control ” screen, you can limit the playback of Blue-Ray discs according to age by supporting Blue-Ray discs. Confirm your selection
- Scroll to “BD / DVD – Regional Parental Control Code ” and press the X button. When prompted, enter your PIN code.
- On the “BD / DVD – Regional Parental Control Code” page, you need to set the region you are in which will allow the system to use the age groups relevant for your region. Confirm your selection
- Scroll to “DVD – Parental Controls” and press the X button. When prompted, enter your PIN code.
- Scroll to “Parental Controls” and press the X button. When prompted, enter your PIN.
- In the ” Parental control ” page , you can define the general level of parental control that you want to activate on the console. Confirm your selection
- Scroll down to ” Internet Browser Start Control ” and press the X button. When prompted, enter your PIN.
- On the “Internet Browser Start Control” page, you can select whether the console is able to launch the Internet browser. Confirm your selection
To activate parental controls on the PS4 :
- Log into the system using your PlayStation Network account and from the main menu, press the D-Pad, then right until you have highlighted the “ Settings” icon . Press the X button to open “Settings”.
- In the “Settings” menu, scroll down and select “ Parental Controls / Family Management ”.
- Select ” PS4 System Restrictions “. If a PIN code is requested, the system default PIN code is “0000”.
In PS4’s “System Restrictions” , “change the system restriction code and block” Create New User … “, this will prevent anyone from creating new users on the console who will have no restrictions for parents . “ Default Parental Controls ” will create restrictions console-wide, if you want to set restrictions only for your child, skip to step 5.
- Highlight “Family Management” and press the X button. Then sign in using your PlayStation Network account . This account is your parent account and we will create an account for your child linked to your account which will allow you to monitor and set restrictions for them.
- Select ” Define now”. If you haven’t verified the email address with your account, you’ll need to do so now. Select “Already verified” then “Continue”.
- Select ” Create User “. Now enter your child’s details and select “Next”. Finally, select “Accept”.
- Now you will find yourself in the ” Parental Controls ” screen where you can select the maximum age range of games / DVD / Blu-Rays that your child can access, as well as the restrictions on PlayStation VR and browser usage. Internet. Select “Confirm”.
- If you would like to allow your child to join the PlayStation Network, select ‘Authorize’ (the PlayStation Network is required to play games online, as well as to download demos and purchase new games from PlayStation Store).
- You can now place restrictions on your child’s use of PlayStation Network (there is a separate guide to parental controls for PlayStation Network). Select the restrictions you want to apply, then select “Confirm”, “OK”, then on the next screen “Accept”.
- You have now created your child’s secondary account and it will be linked to your account as a family member. You can change the restrictions placed on your child’s account at any time through your account.
To activate parental controls on Nintendo Switch :
- Navigate to the ” System Settings ” option on the main screen.
- Scroll down the left bar to Parental Controls and click (or press if using the touchscreen). Click Parental Control Settings , the box highlighted on the right side of the screen.
- A page will open offering two options: you can set simple parental controls by limiting the gameplay based on age, so that you can only play a certain category of games or you can set more complex parental controls. via a dedicated smartphone application for iPhone or Android.
- If you choose to limit gameplay on the console itself, you can set age limits for different features, such as gaming, and whether the user can post screenshots to Switch on social media. Communication with other players may also be limited.
- You can pair, match, or link your Nintendo Account to a child’s Nintendo Switch profile, so they can purchase games from Nintendo eShop online. If you have installed this option, you can also limit it. In this case, the instructions are on the switch.
- The levels available are: Teenager, Child, Young Child or you can customize the options yourself.
- You can also set options through the Nintendo Switch parental controls app for iPhone and Android. Download it from your appropriate app store on your smartphone and follow the onscreen instructions.
- You will need to connect it to your Nintendo Account and to the Switch via a code that will be sent to you.
- Once logged in, you can not only use the app to set content restrictions based on options on the console itself, but you can also use it to set and limit playtime on the Nintendo Switch . The console will not let them play beyond the allotted time.
- This can also be set per profile, as multiple profiles can be set on the Nintendo Switch console. This can be configured when using the console for the first time. Alternatively, you can add new “Users” in “System Settings” on the “User” tab.
To activate parental controls on Nintendo Wii :
- Using the Wii Remote and the A Button Selector, do the following:
- Turn on the console and access the Wii menu .
- Select Wii Options then Wii Settings.
- Click the blue arrow to the right to access the Wii System Settings 2 menu options .
- Select Parental Controls , and then choose Yes.
- Create a 4-digit PIN code , then select OK.
- Select a secret question to answer and the answer to it, and then select OK.
- Select Game Settings & PIN .
- You will be able to select the allowed game ratings for your Wii console.
- Select OK, then select Confirm.
- Select Other settings to set limits for additional functionality,
Wii Internet Channel : restricts the use of the Internet browser.
News Channel: Control access to the News Channel.
Online Communication and User Created Content: Control the sending and receiving of messages from the Wii console and during online game play.
- Redemption of Points: Wii Points are used in the Wii Shop Channel to purchase and download games. Use this section to request a 4-digit PIN code before using points.
- After configuring the settings, select Completed Settings to complete the process.